FACTORYRAT

Your Dynamic Voice of Solidarity
It is currently October 24th, 2014, 1:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Unread postPosted: September 23rd, 2011, 4:51 pm 
Site Admin

Double Agents and 2011 UAW Contracts

Theres’ a good reason that for the first time since the UAW won a pension from GM that
there is no mention of pensions for current and future retirees in the Contract Highlights.
If you look at the pension supplement you will see that there is not an update for
workers who retire after October 2010. There is no gain in pension for future retirees.

The Social Security Age Creep Patch was not readjusted for future retirees. It states on
page 142 of the Pension Supplement Exhibit A “Social Security”: “The parties further
agree that, during the term of the 2007 Collective Bargaining Agreement, they would
review the issues surrounding the changes in the Social Security “80% date” and
evaluate alternatives to address this issue in the next Collective Bargaining Agreement.”

This is the same language as the 2007 agreement. It has not been updated or
addressed in the 2011 Agreement, in which case new retirees, and current retirees born
after September 15,1949 do not appear to be eligible for the Social Security Age Creep
Patch.

The $700 Christmas bonus which is what the UAW negotiated in place of COLA on
pensions has been taken away. UAW International reps have COLA on their pensions
but they declined to negotiate COLA on pensions for rank and file members. They
insisted that the lump sum bonuses would be a better deal. The better deal is gone. The
lump sum bonuses were not covered under ERISA as COLA would have been.

The excuse for not protecting retirees is an underfunded GM pension plan. Rather than
demand that GM fully fund the pension, the UAW colluded with the company to amend
the plan after ratification to reduce the cost for GM.

“The parties further discussed the possibility of amending the Plan to provide additional
options for certain current retirees that would help GM manage its pension risk and
benefit such retirees that voluntarily agree to participate. To this end, the parties agreed
that the National Parties may mutually agree during the term of this Agreement to
amend the Plan to add retirement options for some or all existing retirees that help GM
reduce the volatility and risk related to the Plan and benefit existing retirees by providing
an additional voluntary option.”
[2011 UAW-GM Supplemental Agreement Exhibit A
(Pension Plan) page 161 “Pension De-Risk Consideration”]

GM took profits earned in the US and invested them overseas. The legacy of retirees
includes profits earned and reinvested. Retirees have a legitimate lien on those
investments. Retirement benefits are wages earned and deferred, not a gift or
entitlement. The UAW should not be asking current workers to sacrifice 10% of their
profit sharing to cover GM’s debt to the VEBA, nor should current workers be expected
to sacrifice wages to make up for GM’s malfeasance of pension funds.

GM not only underfunded the pension, GM took lump sum bonuses and retirement
incentives from the pension fund. Now GM and the UAW conspire to further drain the
pension by offering retirees buyouts from the pension. Assuming that buyouts would
come from the pension, a mass exodus for the buyout door would further erode the
pension plan’s feasibility.

Active workers are likewise looking down a dead end road. Even for second tier workers
who are scheduled to receive incremental increases, wages will be worth less after
inflation by the end of the contract. Furthermore, traditional workers’ wages are the
basis of the pension formula. They lose twice and the losses compound and accrue.

The utilization of temps, flex workers, and alternative work schedules will reduce
overtime without increasing the number of permanent jobs. The UAW has an obligation
spelled out in the Objects of its Constitution — which is in fact the contract which UAW
officials have with dues paying members — to improve working conditions and protect
the members. The indentured servitude of temporary workers violates the spirit and
intent of the UAW Constitution. Temp workers and second tier workers are corrosive to
solidarity and undermine future bargaining leverage.

The purpose of the wage freeze coupled with the proposed pension amendment is to
increase GM’s equity and liquidity. There has been a long standing contention that the
UAW has a conflict of interest inherent in its retiree health care trust [VEBA]. The
contention is evident. The UAW International is an agent of the company.

sos, GreggShotwell@aol.com

http://www.warriorsoflabor.com http://www.soldiersofsolidarity.com http://www.factoryrat.com

[Labor Donated]
Attachment:
Double_Agents.pdf [89.81 KiB]
Downloaded 166 times

Unread postPosted: September 23rd, 2011, 9:53 pm 

Has anybody else heard that Mr. Daniel Hiatt in no longer on the hours balancing list? If it is true, I wonder why. I guess when you stab the people in their back that voted for him, you get rewarded by the International Union. Beginning to see why Subaru, Toyota, etc... doesn't want a union.

Unread postPosted: September 23rd, 2011, 10:11 pm 

Good post Drone and Gregg Shotwell.

Unread postPosted: September 23rd, 2011, 11:25 pm 

Most retirees i know have insurance taken out of their check to insure that their spouse will at least have some income from their labors should they pass on earlier than their spouse.

If you sold your pension you would also be selling out your loved one?

This whole subject just sounds like a royal screwen just waiting to happen to some poor schmuck who maybe worked hard all of his life, but might not be a financial genius.

I expect grand things from a union that in the past has been able to do tremendous things for the benefit of its members.

So far this thing sounds like its going to "smell" pretty bad and i think most of our brothers and sisters are going to be very disappointed if this does'nt turn out to be much better, after all facts are known.

The retirees may be a little older, but i guarantee you that they are still as sharp as ever, and if you cannot do anything to improve their life ----leave it the F#$K alone.

Last edited by BA490 on September 24th, 2011, 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: September 24th, 2011, 2:40 am 

I like shotwell's idea's but this would be a hard sell to all the people that want the 5k. low lights where all true but having all that back now ?
with out the truth the people on the outside already have formed a media driven opinion of us. bloomburg news say international is spending money faster then you can say wtf so what are we to do? We have yet to turn any of the import car company's yet. king wants to build a army ! has great vision but we could of done way better.

Unread postPosted: September 24th, 2011, 8:17 am 

I know myself I will never take a lump sum payout.

Unread postPosted: September 24th, 2011, 8:26 am 

IMO,,, it would be something to consider if you were ill, and did not feel you would live to equal the payout overtime,,,, Never say never.

Unread postPosted: September 24th, 2011, 8:48 am 

SwHomeAl wrote:
IMO,,, it would be something to consider if you were ill, and did not feel you would live to equal the payout overtime,,,, Never say never.

That is true but right now I'm 56 years old in good health. I hope to have many more good years, but we never know whats around the corner. My dad work till he was 62 then retired. He had a stroke in 2002 but he is still kicking. He can't walk to good and lost use of his left arm and hand.

Unread postPosted: September 24th, 2011, 9:47 am 

IF THE CONTRACT IS SO BAD THEN QUIT THERE AN IDEA. I NEVER SEEN SO MANY PEOPLE COMPLAIN SO MUCH OVER NOTHING UNION ALL THE WAY

Unread postPosted: September 24th, 2011, 11:44 am 

chevy400000 wrote:
IF THE CONTRACT IS SO BAD THEN QUIT THERE AN IDEA. I NEVER SEEN SO MANY PEOPLE COMPLAIN SO MUCH OVER NOTHING UNION ALL THE WAY

The problem is that we ARE union. A union is supposed to get the best possible deal for thier membership. Management stepped in in 2009 to reopen the contract and screw it up. The workers happily agreed to sacrafices to save thier company. Knowing that this can happen mid-contract, the international should've got something for thier rank and file. Tier 1 got nothing, seems like international turned thier backs on retirees. Nobody thinks this is a terrible job, we just want international to do thier job